Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
Portland Area Rock Dust Survey
Last Post 07 Mar 2016 04:07 PM by Steve Rodrigue. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Aaron Parker

--
30 Sep 2013 11:41 AM  
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/portland-area-rock-dust-survey

I started this IndieGoGo to come up with some money to test local rock dust for use as soil amendments. Check it out and please repost!

Rock dusts are have amazing potential as a soil amendment, but which one is right for your soil? This project will help you figure that out.

Every garden's soil composition is
different, lacking in essential minerals and nutrients while rich in
others. The same disproportion is true of rock dusts. Southern Maine
is very geologically diverse, and our local quarries collect and sift
the fine tailings from their crushed stone products, resulting in diverse
rock dust with different mineral profiles from one quarry to another.

By collecting and analyzing samples of
rock dusts from local quarries, I will create a database of the
minerals available within a given quarry's rock dust. The database will be freely available online. Using this
database, local gardeners will be able to cross-reference the results
of their own garden's soil test results to determine which quarry's
rock dust is the best match for their needs.

The majority of the funds raised here will go towards testing samples at Logan Labs LLC, a $25 test from the lab will give these data points for each source: pH,Total Exchange Capacity, Sulfur, Phosphorous, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Boron, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, Aluminum, Molybdenum, Cobalt, Silicon, Selenium and % Base Saturdation Ca, Mg, K, Na. Some funds will be needed for acquiring samples, packing and shipping samples and possible extra testing. I hope to test samples from 10-15 sources.If you want to help in ways other then donating, or in addition to donating, you can help spread the word by linking to this page on facebook or other social media and by alerting me to rock dust sources i may not know of. Of course if you have already tested a local rock dust and can share the results that is very helpful as well.

Seed
Seed
Aaron Parker

--
30 Sep 2013 11:42 AM  
forgot to mention in the above post that the map came from http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/historical/feb08.htm , it's pretty interesting, check out the PDF version for more details.
Seed
Seed
Mark Drummond

--
02 Oct 2013 07:38 AM  
Great thread. I am an organic gardener & avid user and advocate of rock flours and the many benefits out soils receive by adding them. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

If you're a gardener who isn't adding rock dusts to your soil - Do It!

Mark Drummond
Livermore Falls, Maine
Seed
Seed
Aaron Parker

--
02 Oct 2013 08:11 AM  
thanks for the support mark! What rock flour(s) have you been using? Have noticed any difference in local sources? I have been interested in local rock dusts as a soil amendment for a while, but I'm only now getting around to actually spreading some and watching for changes.
Seed
Seed
Aaron Parker

--
02 Oct 2013 08:15 AM  
Also, if anyone knows of other forums where people might be interested in this topic I'd love to hear about it, or any other way to get the word out. Thanks!
Seed
Seed
Mark Drummond

--
02 Oct 2013 08:22 AM  
Right now I'm using granite flour bought from Fedco, Aaron.

Mark Drummond
Livermore Falls ME
Seed
Seed
Steve Rodrigue

--
07 Mar 2016 04:07 PM  
I purchased a piece of land a couple of years back from someone who runs a rock business. This being said, I ended up with a few large piles of rock dust on my property. I'm in the process of converting a recently forested area (birch saplings and trees ranging from 1-4" diameter) first by introducing two guinea hogs, then either cover cropping or sheet mulching beds. I'm interested in possibly using some of the rock dust and would be interested in sending in a sample. The piles most likely consist of several different types of rocks rather than just one type so it sounds like what I may have may not help with the study if it is still going on. Either way, I would still like to get a sample tested -- would Logan Lab LLC still be the best place to end in a sample?
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2017 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine