Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
Pesticides, Board of Pesticide Control, State Inspections
Last Post 30 Apr 2010 11:46 AM by . 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Mary Yurlina

--
13 Apr 2010 12:15 PM  
Hi, For those who have missed the sessions we offered with Gary Fish (ME BPC), important info can be found in the print newsletter we sent to MCS producers in early April and on our wee website www.mofgacertification.org. Here is yet another distillation of this info:

If you sell crops and you are producing them organically, you must be using pesticides/pest control products that meet several requirements:

1. Products must be in compliance with the National Organic Rule. This is why you must let MOFGA Certification Services know about your pesticide control products before you use them.

2. Products must also be labeled for commercial use. In other words, if the pesticide label states that it can only be used on home gardens or in back yard landscaping, then it must not be used by farmers producing crops for sale. Read and follow all pesticide labels carefully. They are legal contracts.

3. In the State of Maine, all products used as pesticides, even ones that do not have to be registered with EPA, must be registered with the State. There is a website you can use to check if products are registered in Maine:

http://state.ceris.purdue.edu/doc/me/stateme.html

4. Making your own pesticide formulations is not allowed and may pose food safety issues.

For information on Certification & Licensing, Pesticide Laws & Regulations, and the Worker Protection Standard, visit the Maine Board of Pesticides Control, or contact:

Gary Fish, Maine Board of Pesticide Control
gary.fish@maine.gov
(207) 287-2731

We in the Certification Program can also try to answer your questions.

Happy Growing,

Mary

Seed
Seed
Kate Newkirk

--
13 Apr 2010 03:42 PM  
So - If I make a chamomile tea to apply to my seedlings for damping off this is not allowed? Kate
Seed
Seed
Mary Yurlina

--
14 Apr 2010 11:37 AM  
That would be my interpretation of #4 in the list I posted above, which I had reviewed by BPC. I just presented this chamomile scenario to BPC and they are working on a response. Apparently, there are a number of factors that need to be considered....I'll post when I hear back. --Mary
Seedling
Seedling
Melissa White Pillsbury

--
19 Apr 2010 10:08 AM  
Are there any OMRI approved pesticides that trigger the need for an applicator license in the state of Maine?
Seed
Seed
Mary Yurlina

--
20 Apr 2010 12:44 PM  
A farmer does not need to get a pesticide applicator license to apply OMRI listed products.

Seed
Seed
Mary Yurlina

--
30 Apr 2010 11:46 AM  
OK, Kate, here goes...

Chamomile tea is not a legal application because it is not a registered pesticide and residue tolerances for this tea on food are not known. It does not matter that you drink your chamomile tea and may sell this herb as food to the public. Chamomile tea has not been vetted as a pesticide.

You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2017 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine