Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
houseshare-housesit in Pemaquid with microfarming option
Last Post 13 Jan 2018 12:55 PM by JB. 0 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
JB

--
13 Jan 2018 12:55 PM  
Affordable living situation in Pemaquid area. Very large private bedroom with own half bath and space for sitting area, study, etc. Shared shower, kitchen, yard/garden. Option for garden or very small scale farming. I am at the house full time or less in summer, less than half time in fall-winter-spring.

Terms:

Terms are slightly negotiable, depending on your timeframe and how you would use the property. Ideal person would be year-round female but could be arranged for two people or male at higher rent since I would likely be there less.

For one female, three months or more: Summer rent is $650/mo plus half utils (June-August). Spring/fall rent is $400/mo plus ¾ utils/heat (April, May, Sept, Oct, Nov). Winter rent is $0 plus ¾ utils/heat (Dec-March).

Summer utils (phone, internet, electric, oil hot water) are generally around $130 total per month (you pay ½). Winter-fall-spring heat is high-efficiency heat pump and oil (plus woodstove if you have woodstove experience & buy wood). Most recent years, being conservative, fall through spring utils/heating costs have averaged roughly $300/mo (you pay 3/4). New heat pump and attic insulation should lower that. You can pay for winter plowing or shovel the parking space. Laundry washer/dryer are old but presently work.

Rental discount may be possible if you want to trap mice and keep out squirrels in fall/winter, dig invasive swallowwort & bittersweet vines in summer, or do minor maintenance or carpentry.

First and last month rent plus security deposit paid up front. Security deposit varies with time of year. Fall-winter-spring security deposit is $1000, since past housesitters left significant utilities/heat debt, damages, and other problems. Summer security deposit is $650. References required.

The property:

The house is charming and quiet, but older with some updates. Furnishings are basic or vintage. Your bedroom is very sunny, quiet, and well-insulated, in a newer addition.

Property has roughly three acres of scrubby woods and an acre or so of old overgrown orchard. Organic vegetable garden is roughly 500 square feet and could be doubled (but needs deer/woodchuck fencing, and soil could be improved). A half acre or so is partially cleared but still has lots of tree roots, brush, and vines. Another half acre or so is lawn and septic leachfield. I can imagine bees, rabbits, poultry, cut flowers, herbs, mushrooms, winter greens, or possibly a few goats/sheep or small horse. My schedule is too erratic to do these myself, however. Presently no barn, shed, or fencing, but I'm somewhat open to new outbuildings and might be able to clear some garage space. Rising Tide food coop has a community-run commercial kitchen a few miles away in Damariscotta. Less than a mile walk to harbor/ocean and village store. Good marketing opportunities to summer visitors/restaurants, but most people need an active work/social life to balance the winter solitude.

No smoking is allowed on the property, no excessive alcohol consumption, no illegal drugs. No audible electronic audio while I am here, since I often work at home. Guest policy negotiable. No indoor pets allowed due to family allergies.

If you are interested, please provide a few lines of information about yourself, what you are looking for, and timeline. I am not in a hurry and will only rent to the right person. It is nice if you happen to work in some socially constructive occupation such as progressive politics, arts, education, or environmental conservation. I will not rent without meeting in person.

e-mail: yqueserasera@gmail.com
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2017 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine