JOHNNY'S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder and Chairman, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee-Owned. Johnny's mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny's is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four-season lifestyle. Geographically situated halfway between Maine's mountains and its 4500-mile-long coastline, we're a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny's may be the place for you!
Director of Breeding and Proprietary Product Development
The Director of Breeding and Proprietary Product Development is focused on managing all aspects of the organization's vegetable breeding programs and proprietary product development, including collaborative efforts with independent breeders, to bring to market new, differentiating, and innovative varieties for their vegetable, flower, and herb product lines.
The Director of Breeding and Proprietary Product Development is a full-time position at the research farm in Albion, Maine. This Director will work closely with our product managers and research farm team as well as our Marketing and Operations departments. The position provides a unique opportunity to coach a team of creative breeders, technicians and research assistants. The Director of Breeding and Proprietary Product Development reports to the CEO.
• Develop short, medium and long-term goals and objectives of the breeding programs in conjunction with the breeders
• Manage and develop employee-owners involved in plant breeding, including breeders, plant breeding technicians, and research assistants
• Develop and secure proprietary products, expanding Johnny's ability to bring the best products to market and fill the niche needs of our commercial and home gardeners
• Collaborate with team to identify new market opportunities and plant breeding targets
• Develop internal methods and processes for the new product development pipeline and product introductions
• Collect and analyze data from breeders and other stakeholders in the product development process to create and prepare technical and research reports
• Develop and maintain liaisons and effective working relations with groups, departments and individuals to encourage cooperative management strategies
• Ensure that all team members follow company standards (health, safety & environmental)
• Prepare operational and capital budget based on activities and projects to be undertaken
• Provide feedback and coaching as necessary while maintaining a positive and encouraging work environment
• Advanced degree in the sciences, PhD or Masters in Plant Breeding or Genetics preferred
• Working plant pathology knowledge
• Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
Qualifications & Skills
• Success in developing new varieties and taking them to market within the vegetable seed industry
• Expert in the vegetable seed industry and product line management
• Experience with/knowledge of specialized agricultural/horticultural practices and techniques of trialing and breeding
• Ability to ensure and monitor continuous training for breeders in new technologies/methodologies
• An understanding, appreciation, and enthusiasm for the challenges and opportunities involved in decentralized production by direct-market farmers and avid home gardeners
• Understanding of using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approachable problems
• Analytical and creative problem solver to evaluate options and implement solutions
• Excellent written and oral communication skills to convey information effectively
• Ability to monitor/assess performance of yourself, other individuals, or the organization to make improvements or take corrective action
• Ability to build consensus/function as part of a team
• Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions
• Ability to work at a computer 50% of the time
• Ability to travel to research fields
• Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care)
• Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
• Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care leave
• Company Paid Life insurance
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• Voluntary Pet Insurance
• Company Paid Short & Long-Term Disability Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Educational Assistance
• Employee Discount
Johnny's Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.