JOHNNY'S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder and Chairman, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny's mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny's is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four season life style. Geographically situated halfway between Maine's mountains and its 4500-mile-long coastline, we're a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny's may be the place for you!
Area Sales Manager – Northern California
The Area Sales Manager plays a significant role as a leader focused on customer satisfaction and attaining the long and short-term sales and customer count goals for their directly assigned Territory. This Area Sales Manager will also manage one to three other Territories and will work to expand our focus on the west coast corridor. This position is full-time, exempt, located in Northern California. The ideal candidate would need to be a highly motivated sales professional with self-starter capabilities and proven success in the seed industry.
• Recommend and sell Johnny's Selected Seeds products to current and potential clients by supporting and servicing existing accounts, establishing new accounts and ensuring orders are obtained and processed
• Develop and execute strategies to achieve an increase in active customers, meet quarterly/annual sales and customer service satisfaction goals
• Help resolve any customer service issues within the territory, including following up on collections of accounts as needed
• Build partnerships and continuously improve relations with customers, frequently visiting and offering technical support
• Monitors competition to enhance sales efforts focus by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, shipping fees, merchandising, sales volume, etc.
• Communicate new product and service opportunities, gathered feedback through field activity with customers and share with appropriate company staff
• Keep management and territory team informed by submitting activity reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans and monthly/annual territory analysis
• Support JSS offsite territory product trials in conjunction with Product Managers
• Provides overall leadership and direction to assigned Territory Sales Representatives
• Provide coaching, performance feedback and conduct performance assessments
• Develop and drive the territory sales forecast, coordinating the overall territory plan with the Support and Marketing team members that meets the yearly plan and multi-year strategy
• Provides overall leadership and direction to assigned Territory
• Responsible for developing monthly and annual Area/Territory sales forecast by variety for key account
• Maintain professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
• Coordinate with internal marketing team members and leverage all marketing initiatives, participate in regional trade shows
• BS/BA in science or horticulture preferred, with experience in advising, training, or counseling commercial vegetable growers in customer focused environment preferred
• Preference will be given to sales professionals with 5+ years of relevant sales experience in the seed/agriculture industry
Qualifications & Skills
• Knowledge in both field growing and greenhouse or hydroponic growing is a plus
• Expert in sales skills: skilled negotiator, problem solver, and closer with the ability to anticipate needs, and develop long-term business relationships
• Deep knowledge of vegetable seed market required
• Demonstrated ability to grow and manage sales professionals
• Proficiency with PC's and Microsoft office products.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Ability to present detailed information about Johnny's products and have knowledge of alternative products in the market
• Proven ability to learn and share difficult technical information
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to travel to all areas of the assigned territory
• Track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals
• Preference will be given to professionals with supervisor or personnel management experience
• Drivers License is required, with ability to visit farms/customers.
• Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
• Ability to sit at a computer for at least 60% of the work day.
• Ability to work around bees and other insects.
• Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
• Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
• Employee Discount
• Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
• Company Paid Life Insurance
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• Voluntary Pet Insurance
• Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.