JOHNNY’S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder and Chairman, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny’s mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny’s is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies, and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four season lifestyle. Geographically situated halfway between Maine’s mountains and its 4500-mile-long coastline, we’re a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny’s may be the place for you!
Territory Sales Representative – New England
The Territory Sales Representative is a member of our territory commercial sales team. This position plays a significant role as a leader focused on customer satisfaction and attaining the long and short-term sales and customer count goals for their directly assigned territory. This position is full-time, exempt, located in New England. The ideal candidate would need to be highly motivated sales professional with self-starter capabilities and proven success in the seed industry.
• Present and sell Johnny’s Selected Seeds products to current and potential clients by supporting and servicing existing accounts, establishing new accounts and ensuring orders are obtained and processed
• Organize a daily work schedule to call on and visit existing and/or potential customers
• Support JSS offsite territory product trials with Product Managers. Visit seed production location on occasion
• Develop and execute strategies to achieve customer service goals and quarterly/annual sales goals
• Responsible for developing and driving the territory sales forecast, coordinating the overall territory plan with the Support and Marketing team members that meet the yearly plan and multi-year strategy
• Communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments, information or feedback gathered through field activity with customers and share with appropriate company staff
• Assist with suggestive product development and pricing
• Keep management and territory team informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly/annual territory analysis
• Enhance sales staff accomplishments and competence by planning delivery of solutions, answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members, teaching improved processes and mentoring team members
• Provides input and direction to the team on marketing events and support required to meet the overall team goals
• Crafts sales presentations specific to customer type and needs in conjunction with other territory team members
• Monitors competition to enhance sales efforts focus by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, shipping fees, merchandising, sales volume in the territory, etc.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
• Required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas and communicate with various personalities at all levels
• Contribute to performance reviews of all territory team members
• Occasional overnight travel such as visits to current and potential clients and trade shows is required
• BS/BA in science or horticulture preferred, with experience in advising, training, or counseling commercial vegetable growers in customer-focused environment preferred
• Preference will be given to sales professionals with 3-5 years of relevant sales experience in the seed/agriculture industry
Qualifications & Skills
• Knowledge in both field growing and greenhouse or hydroponic growing is a plus
• Expert in sales skills: skilled negotiator, problem solver, and closer with the ability to anticipate needs, and develop long-term business relationships
• Deep knowledge of vegetable, herb or flower growing/farming eperience is preferred
• Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office products.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Possess strong business acumen
• Exceptional “Outside” sales and marketing, customer focused experience with an impressive track record within a B2B setting
• Ability to present detailed information about Johnny’s products and have knowledge of alternative products in the market
• Ability to be a team player, working towards a common goal by giving more than taking
• Proven ability to learn and share difficult technical information
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Positive, can-do attitude; loyalty, self-motivation
• Determination and prepared to focus on goals until they are achieved as a mentally tireless worker
• Track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals
• Ability to travel to all areas of the assigned territory
• Drivers License is required, with the ability to visit farms/customers.
• Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
• Ability to sit at a computer for at least 60% of the workday.
• Ability to work around bees and other insects.
• Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
• Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
• Employee Discount
• Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
• Company Paid Life Insurance
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• Voluntary Pet Insurance
• Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Educational Assistance
Johnny’s Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.