JOHNNY’S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder and Chairman, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny’s mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny’s is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, fulfillment center, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four season life style. Geographically situated halfway between Maine’s mountains and its 4500-mile-long coastline, we’re a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny’s may be the place for you!
Director of Operations
The Director of Operations is focused on planning, directing and coordinating the operations of the fulfillment organization. This includes formulating policies, managing daily operations, and planning the use of materials and human resources. This is a highly visible position reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and will require routine interaction with other company executives including the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned leader with experience in a high volume fulfillment/distribution environment. This individual will be passionate about fast-paced industry and building/leading high-functioning teams.
• Direct and manage the operations for order-picking, fulfillment, cycle-counting, shipping, and receiving.
• Accountable for fulfillment performance; identifies inefficiencies and drives change to internal processes and cross-functional business units, positively impacting the customer experience.
• Implements strategies to reduce costs and update systems, as is consistent with company values.
• Oversees all 3rd party provider activities through management of the Fulfillment Operations team.
• Ensures inventory accuracy through quality assurance of product flow via “direct to customer” inventory systems.
• Takes part in contract negotiation, both internally and externally.
• Drives the drop-ship vendor processes.
• Responsible for both short and long-term facility planning.
• Accountable for execution of projects that require a high level of cross functional teamwork and are typically performed under time constraints.
• Responsible for project definition, resourcing, issue escalation, risk management and delivery.
• Owns and continuously monitors direct and indirect fulfillment costs, with a focus on risks and potential opportunities.
• Defines and evolves various operating models to manage large scale initiatives related to continuous improvement; ensure direction of the initiative remains aligned with leadership expectations.
• Performs managerial duties as required, including but not limited to budget development and execution control.
• Ability to manage and drive a team in keeping with HR best practices.
• Well versed in buying and forecasting, with a focus on strong in-stock and zero back order targets and initiatives.
• Drives a culture of operational excellence with a strong emphasis on accountability, quality, and safety; achieves this by implementing quantitative performance indicators and standards.
• Develops training and evaluation metrics for team members.
• Maintains a work environment that promotes teamwork, communication, and continuous improvement.
• Sets goals and leads a team responsible for the delivery of various improvement initiatives from problem definition to implementation completion.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Operations or related field of study; MBA preferred.
• 5+ years direct management experience in a maunfacturing, production or distribution environment, with experience in process improvement programs and procedures.
• Seed industry knowledge preferred.
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Proven ability to strategically drive future improvements and influence operations or processes with data.
• Advanced analytical skills and an ability to build fact-based recommendations.
• Working knowledge of budgets and financial statements.
• Transparent leadership skills and independent thinking.
• Ability to Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication, in the best interest of the business.
• Highly accountable; must be able to motivate and inspire the business to meet the high standards of compliance to improve customer service.
• Ability to guide, challenge, and recognize employee accomplishments.
• Experience with performance metrics and process improvement techniques.
• Previous exposure to enterprise resource planning ERP software systems and/or customer relationship management CRM software systems.
• Extensive experience in shipping logistics and vendor contract/cost management
• Experience in working with and a strong understanding of shipping carriers such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, Canada Post, and International shipping is required.
• Knowledgeable in seed handling, organic seed handling, and FDA regulatory compliance.
• Advanced Microsoft Office required.
• Ability to sit in front of a computer for up to 7 hours at a time
• Ability to lift and/or carry up to 40lbs occasionally throughout the work day
• Ability to bend, crouch, and kneel occasionally
• Ability to grasp, and use fine motor skills
• Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
• Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
• Employee Discount
• Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
• Company Paid Life Insurance
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• Voluntary Pet Insurance
• Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Educational Assistance
Johnny’s Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, amnesty or veteran status.