Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
broody hens
Last Post 10 Apr 2018 10:31 PM by Belfast Blueberry Cooperative & 3 Streams Farm. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Bonnie Young

--
05 Jun 2010 02:05 PM  
Previous years we used an incubator to hatch our chickens. This year we had a couple of broody hens, so we thought we'd separate them, and let them do it for us. The incubator took 21 days to hatch, does it take hens longer?
They are sitting on the nests, so everything "looks" right, but the timing is off from the incubator.
Seed
Seed
Katie S

--
06 Jun 2010 09:08 AM  
bonnie it takes 21 days under a hen too. hatching out can take a while but try not to disturb the eggs/nest during the last few days, as the chicks are getting into the proper position to pip their way out.

you're going to have tons of fun watching the mama and their little ones!

katie
Seed
Seed
Bonnie Young

--
06 Jun 2010 09:47 AM  
Thanks Katie. They passed the 21 day point, we are going to give them another week and see what happens...
Seed
Seed
Argyle Acres

--
06 Jun 2010 09:47 AM  
Our first broody hen sat on her clutch for 15 days before she got bored with it and stopped sitting.

Our second broody hen is currently on her 26th day of sitting on her clutch.

Our third broody hen is currently on her 6th day of sitting on her clutch of eggs.
Seed
Seed
Katie S

--
06 Jun 2010 10:54 AM  
hmmm.. either the eggs weren't fertile or maybe you got the dates mixed up? duck eggs take 28 days, chicken 21, i don't know about other species.

hope it works out! i have always had the hatch start on day 21, sometimes it's not til evening, but it's always 21 days from when i set the hen.

katie
Seed
Seed
Argyle Acres

--
06 Jun 2010 04:28 PM  
Thank you,

These are chickens, and I write it on my calendar when we do it.

Seed
Seed
Burnt Meadow Nursery

--
09 Apr 2011 05:34 PM  
Cochins are the best hens for hatching eggs. Best to keep a few around if you don't want to use an incubator.
Seed
Seed
Argyle Acres

--
11 Apr 2011 06:20 PM  
We were using cochins.
Seed
Seed
Belfast Blueberry Cooperative & 3 Streams Farm

--
10 Apr 2018 10:31 PM  
Yes 21 days. Have you candled them to see if a dark spot grew and filled the egg? If infertile, they will probably still light up to be clear. If rotten, they will swell a bit, look dark and stained through the shells without candling, smell bad, float too well. Shana
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2017 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine