Login | Sign Up
MOFGA Discussion Forums
Want Rice paddies on your land?
Last Post 24 Aug 2017 03:32 PM by Wild Folk Farm. 0 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
NextNext
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.
Author Messages
Seed
Seed
Wild Folk Farm

--
24 Aug 2017 03:32 PM  

The Maine Rice project is applying for USDA-SBIR funding to build rice paddies on several choice sites throughout Maine. We are looking to partner with existing farms that are interested in incorporating rice paddies into their farm operations and/or allowing us to lease the land to grow rice. These paddy systems will range in size from 1-4 acres, and site work would begin spring of 2019.

We would design and build the paddy systems based on individual site characteristics, working with farm owners to ensure designs integrate well into their current operations. We will manage the whole rice system for two full seasons, After this initial period we will either continue managing the operations, or depending on the arrangement, transition the rice operation to the existing farm. There will be adequate funding to design and build the paddies, lease the land, as well as to pay for operational costs for two seasons. These costs will include everything needed from start to finish (labor, inputs, equipment, sales, etc.).
The grant application is due at the beginning of October and we are currently putting together a letter of support for farms that are potentially interested in partnering with us. This is not a commitment, just an expression of support and personal interest in the project for your farm/land.

A good rice paddy site will need to have the following basic characteristics:

1) Clay Soil
2) Pond above paddy system - we can also build one of those if it has the ability to collect enough water
3) A place to drain - does not need more than slight slope
4) Zone 4b or warmer

If you are interested and think you could have an appropriate site, please let me know and I can send along a of the letter of support. I can send more detail about the project as well.

And please pass this to anyone else who might be interested and let me know other good places to post this other than MOFGA

Thanks
Ben Rooney
WildFolkFarmers@gmail.com
Maine Rice Project
You must be a MOFGA.net member to post a reply. Sign up today.

Active Forums 4.1

Copyright © 2017 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Terms Of Use Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine